A CAT is a translation done with the help of the computer. But not by the computer. Underpinning every high-quality translation is the work of one of our top translators. The computer doesn’t translate anything itself: it builds up a store of translated text. When any parts of this text are repeated in future texts, they are automatically recognised by the system. The translator can approve the translated text with a simple click of the mouse. This saves time in the translation process, and therefore saves money!
Benefits of the CAT system
- consistency of terminology: our CAT system has a database in which we store your preferred terminology. When these terms re-appear, the program will always translate them correctly. This guarantees you the consistent use of terminology in all your texts.
- consistency of translation: a translation is only stored once it has been approved by us and by you. This means that the stored texts are error free. This guarantees you a consistent translation.
- speed: the translator has less work to do when parts of the text have previously been translated and are automatically translated the same way. This means a faster turnaround time for your translated documents.
- cheaper price: you only pay once for the translation of stored parts of a text. Furthermore, we don’t need to re-check recurring parts of the text. That also saves time and costs.
- accuracy: the computer doesn’t translate anything, it merely recognises the sentence that has to be translated. The professional translator has already translated the text. However, recurring texts won’t be automatically accepted: the translator will first check, for example, that they fit in the context. This guarantees you an accurate translation.
For what kind of texts is CAT suitable?
Our CAT system is suitable for texts that are regularly repeated in other documents, such as manuals, instructions for use, technical descriptions, technical specifications, corporate articles of association, extracts from the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce, notarial deeds, contracts, financial overviews, profit and loss accounts, balance sheets, advertising leaflets for similar products, corporate descriptions that require annual updating, etc. The system is also suitable for texts you have already had translated! We will analyse these texts with our CAT program and store them for future re-use. That way you immediately profit from translations already in your possession that you have already paid for.
For what kind of texts is CAT not suitable?
The CAT system is of no benefit in the case of very short texts, nor for texts that are entirely new or completely rewritten. Furthermore, we do not use the CAT system for new, specialised translations because they can involve terminology specific to the sector that is undergoing frequent change.
Contact us for advice about how our CAT system can help you.